Zelda Ember 's birth story

I have now had three very different birthing experiences. (Roland here Hazel here)

And I can say Zelda's has been my favorite labor and delivery. Whether it was the hospital, the ability to plan some details because we had so little control over others, the pain meds, or the fact that this was the third time we've done this... who am I kidding, it was probably the pain meds.

The few weeks before I delivered were strange, exhausting, and busy. As my previous post said I was sick. Add to that a freak accident of a highway worker breaking our back side window with debris from weed eating, both cars batteries going out, and a baby Zelda who appeared to not be growing.

The weeks before my induction I kept going into labor. Once, we even dropped the older kids off at their grandparent's house. But then nothing.

October 4th I woke up at 4am to the sound of a storm. Whether it was the excitement of a baby or the weather outside I couldn't go back to sleep. I slowly got ready and finished cleaning some last minute things around the house. Soon it was time to load up the car and go.

As Gabe drove through town we saw branches scattered across the slick black streets. I love rain, and funnily enough it has been raining each time we have gone to the hospital to deliver a baby.
A valet parked our car, we registered and headed to labor and delivery. It was a strange feeling going through those doors without being in serious pain. We chatted with the nurse as she charted all of our information.

Both Gabe and I had copies of the necessary testing and care that needed to take place immediately after Zelda was born. We have learned with the rarity that is Alloimmunization (ISO), most doctors and nurses are unfamiliar with correct procedure and treatment plans that do not deal with Rh incompatibility.
I was so grateful when a resident was told her only job was to learn everything she could about ISO and ensure all the correct tests were performed.

But I digress.

Around 9am I was on a pitocin drip and finishing up a homework assignment. My OB came in around 10am and broke my water.

When I started to feel some serious contractions we switched to catching up on Hulu shows and waiting on the epidural. As it goes, all three of the women in L&D requested the anesthesiologist at the same time. I am not sure where in line I was but I was grateful when she showed up.

Around noon the residents came in to check my progress, and ended up breaking my water a second time. We found out later there were two bags of water (This in and of itself is a miracle. ISO must cross the placenta to affect baby and having an extra barrier to cross is something Gabe and I are extremely grateful for).

Around 130pm I was still dilated to 4cm. I told Gabe to go grab lunch because at this point I knew he was as hungry as I was. When he returned I started feeling contractions again. Gabe was able to time them and measure intensity easily because the monitor was above my bed. They started to last 4-5 minutes with breaks between 1/2 to 2 minutes.

The nurse came in to check me "before your Dr heads into surgery." I wasn't surprised when she said I was at 10cm. She called my OB to tell him he needed to postpone the surgery.

I was surprised with the amount of movement I still had control over, but still needed help getting myself situated in birthing position. Gabe was in his now standard place, holding my left leg. While a resident held my right. I looked at the clock behind Gabe's head, it was 225pm

I pushed twice, paused while the cord was unwrapped from Zelda's neck and arms, then pushed a final time, which was followed by another gush of fluid (the second bag had most of the '"waters" behind it).

As Zelda came out she wrapped both her arms around our Dr's arm, and grabbed him with both hands, but didn't cry. We held our breath as they finally got her lungs cleared (We later found out she had an in utero lung infection).

Zelda was born at 229pm. At 6 pounds 4oz and 20 inches long she was our smallest baby yet.

Gabe cut the umbilical cord and handed her to me. Everyone else quietly left as we had skin to skin time, she nursed, and we stared at our little girl.













Popular Posts