Monday, June 1, 2015

Hazel's Birth Story

I am currently snuggling our less than 24 hours old baby girl because my milk isn't in yet and she is one fussy little girl...

That is how I started this post, what seems like ages ago.

The night before Hazel was born I started having strong contractions around 10:30 pm. I didn't think anything of it because that had been almost every night for the past few weeks. At midnight I drew myself a hot bath and watched Chopped to help distract me from what I thought was once again false labor.

Around 1 am I got out of the bath, got dressed and used my exercise ball and yoga poses to relieve back labor. I had had a somewhat exhausting day the day before running around with Roland and I was still in denial that I was in labor. However, by 2:30 I was in serious pain and thought I could at least go in to L&D for some pain killer to help me get some sleep. At 2:40 Gabe woke up to me going "Ow, ow, ow. Gabe we need to go."

He got up half awake and began to get ready. I changed Roland's diaper (such a bad idea, we discovered later I had only latched one side of his diaper on) and began gathering our bags.

In the car I tried to make a game out of my contractions for Roland by making raspberry noises and fake laughing. I think the only reason it worked is he was only half awake because when the contractions got really bad I just started grumbling about being a woman and how I hated Adam and Eve...

When we got to the hospital we had to go through the ER entrance. I had Gabe drop me off while he parked and grabbed Roland and all of the bags. At this point it was past 3 am and contractions were definitely closer, longer, and stronger but my water was still completely intact.

When we got to labor and delivery the nurse checked to see how dilated I was. When I heard between 6 1/2 and 7 I was excited and finally accepted I was truly in labor. Because of how quickly things went with Roland we skipped the rest of triage and went straight to a laboring room.

At this point Roland was back asleep

And I was so ready for an epidural. While one of my nurses tried to argue there was no point in one because I was so far dilated the other one drew blood and prepped for one. The anesthesiologist came in around 4:30 am. He was incredibly nice and helped me with breathing through contractions. Sitting still through an epidural was not fun, but it was worth it. I was exhausted because I had been awake for at least 24 hours at this point and the relief was a wonderful break.
By the time they checked me again I was dilated to a 10 but my water was still intact. Around 7 am our friend from church showed up with breakfast and toys and took over Roland so Gabe could concentrate on the delivery. Gabe stayed next to me and we joked around between contractions. At this point the epidural was slowly wearing off, which was perfect timing.

As soon as Roland left the doctor came in and broke my water. I had two heavy contractions... and then nothing. I was still numb on my left side but my right side was not.  While we waited for contractions to start back up I made a lame joke about Hazel changing her mind and that she wasn't coming today... labor does funny things to me. When the contractions finally started again I was ready to push and Hazel was out in less than two pushes. She was extremely pale and we found out later the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck but the OB had unwrapped it as she came through the birth canal.
We had skin to skin time and Hazel almost instantly began nursing. Later Gabe cleaned her up and looked after her as all of the testing was performed.



This is when Roland met her for the very first time

But he was soon sound asleep again

And so was his little sister



After that it took almost four hours for my left leg to regain some feeling so we had to wait in the L&D room. I didn't really mind with these three as company.


Happy Birthday to our beautiful Hazel. We love you!