Sunday, May 10, 2015

To My (New) Mom

Dear Mom,
            A little over four years ago you were in a car wreck. It was serious. None of us really knew just how serious or long lasting your injuries would be.

Fast forward to present day with the Shelley Shuffle still in full force and I can't help but think you're still under the impression that in some way your brain injury embarrasses me and makes me feel sorry for you. And here is the truth: I do get embarrassed and I do feel sorry.

I get embarrassed for those who make rude comments about your walker being in the way. I get embarrassed for people who stand by without offering to help when you're attempting to use facilities that don't easily accommodate those with disabilities. I get embarrassed by people who stare at you, because obviously they didn't have a mom who taught them it isn't polite.

I feel sorry for those who do not get to have someone in their lives who still does their best to serve others despite their limitations. I feel sorry for the people who judge you without getting to know you, because they are missing out. I feel sorry that not everyone has the chance to serve their mother in ways that help in a small way to repay all that she has done for them.

There are many things you have done over the years that embarrassed me (one word: slushie haha). But not a single one of them have to do with your TBI. The lessons of compassion, endurance, and strength I have learned in the past four years are ones that I needed in turn to be a better wife, mother, sister, and daughter. The ignorance and prejudices I have seen have softened my heart to try harder to be more Christlike. The service I have given has allowed me to step outside of my own wants and needs, reminding me that I have so much more to give in this world.




So thank you, for being my mom in ways that we never knew you would need to be. I love you.


Happy Mother's Day.