Thursday, January 22, 2015

Your Modesty is None of My Business

I have seen several blog posts going around defining what people think modesty should be and why they dress modestly. As a Christian I follow the teachings of Christ, and part of that is being modest.
But I have yet to see a single article that addresses the real reason for modesty. And if the life (and death) of Christ teaches us anything it is that the reason behind our actions is just as important if not more so than our actions themselves.
So when did we loose the true reason behind modesty? When did we forget that what someone wears is a very small part of the overall ambiance of what modesty entails? And why are we soo obsessed with leggings?! But I digress.
The Bible addresses modesty as a sense of self.
1 Corinthians 6
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.

Modesty is about glorifying God above ourselves, making sure our actions fit our convictions and not saying "Look at me! Look at me!" whether it is literally or metaphorically.

Your modesty is about your relationship between you and God and is therefore none of my business.

While parents have a responsibility to teach their children and church leaders to lead their congregations, for the most part the teachings of Christ show that modesty isn't black and white, a list of clear rules or a checklist to be achieved.

While yes, there are guidelines to follow, if we focus on the what and not on the why we have lost the importance of modesty, which is to cultivate our relationship with God and to glorify Him in our actions and appearance.

That is what I am going to work on in my life, and if I feel like I should stop or start wearing certain articles of clothing... you'll probably never know.