Monday, November 11, 2013

At the End of the Night... in the Cold Morning Light

Gabe turned 26 last Saturday. I love that his birthday is at the beginning of November because it allows me to start out the month being so grateful for such a large part of my life.

I also love birthdays, because I feel like they are a chance to tell someone how much you love and appreciate them. I mean sure there is Mother's Day, Father's Day, Thanksgiving and wedding anniversaries but those days and moments are never singularly about one person. Even an anniversary is about the love you have for each other.

But birthdays? They are all about showing a person how great they are, and Gabe is pretty fantastic.

We had some friends who live in Houston that came to stay at our house for the weekend to help celebrate. James and Haley made the day that much better.
It started out with biscuits and gravy (my mom's recipe), apples and OJ.
We went to the thrift store and picked up some golf clubs, drivers to be specific. We then headed out to the only driving range in Killeen and each got a bucket of balls.




Then it was Five Below (Gabe's favorite store that he just has to show everyone who comes to town), and Freebirds for a late lunch. We took the long way home, through hills, and trees and leaves that were finally turning autumn colors with deer everywhere.
Dinner consisted of peanut butter chocolate cheesecake.
(Yes that is a 25 candle with a single candle next to it. Last year, I was pregnant and extremely sick the day of Gabe's birthday so it was never used.)

And the day was sprinkled with presents, calls and texts from family and friends. I love Gabriel Josiah and I am so glad that we got to spend his birthday this year just having fun and with all of the focus on him. How often does that happen once we become adults?