Tuesday, October 29, 2013

We are not born into greatness...

First of all, I am not about to compare my life to another's, if I were there are plenty of people who have far more to complain about than I do. But, I will not deny that I have seen some adversity in my life. This adversity has, at times, caused depression, guilt, anxiety, sadness, hopelessness and disparity. But it has also allowed me to realize the importance of compassion, to choose to not become another statistic, to learn how to work hard for those things I want, to be inventive and creative, to realize the power to change is within me. I am forever grateful for that empowerment. It did not come easily, I did not come to it on my own, but it was well worth it.

For now, I am just another person. I could easily be considered below average by many measures. However, as I work and strive to become a better person this quote reminds me I have a responsibility to live up to the adversity I have been given.

“If we study the lives of great men and women carefully and unemotionally we find that, invariably, greatness was developed, tested and revealed through the darker periods of their lives. One of the largest tributaries of the River of Greatness is always the Stream of Adversity.”
                           - Cavett Robert