I walked out this morning and I...

Pardon my french but what the hell are mommy wars?

Seriously, when did it become acceptable to criticize mothers who are not abusing/neglecting their children? And I don't mean abuse in a "well they don't eat organic" or "they don't let their kids have sleepovers" sort of way. I mean full on neglect and abuse. I've heard a lot of reasons why people think others criticize and name call... the internet provides a sort of anonymity, or because people simply want to educate others. 

But really, what it comes down to is a prideful and hateful approach to parenting.

If a woman chooses to stay-at-home, good for her! You think she wasted her college degree? Statistics and research would argue with you. The more educated a woman is, the higher her vocabulary tends to be, and the more successful her children are in elementary school.
Oh and if she doesn't have a college degree? Well, then her kid has something to write about on their college essay, something to show how they worked harder.

If a woman works all day? Well maybe she has to or maybe she chooses to. It should be obvious that it doesn't matter and really isn't any one else's business, or place to judge, which one it is. Besides, daycare is a great way for kids to become more socialized.

As someone who is pregnant and really has no idea what I am doing (no matter how many books I read, you just can't fit an individual's experience into generic reading material) I am trying my best to remember:

"...how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in they brother's eye"

and for those of you who don't care to read the Bible, there is always the simplicity of the golden rule.

So, pardon me while I leave this rant to go work some of the beams I have in my eyes... I believe there are at least a few dozen in there.



Popular Posts