Sunday, June 2, 2013

To All Those Mommas Who Are Keeping It Real...

A little background: Gabe and I have been through a lot in the baby department. I have endometriosis and PCOS which means in and of itself getting pregnant can be a struggle. Then when I finally did get pregnant I had a miscarriage. Three timed. Yes, it was difficult. But at this point I am ready to move forward with my life and everything that I have going for me. Why am I telling you this? Because I feel like it makes this post that more relevant.

So here's the deal:
I have no idea what motherhood is like, because I am not a mother. Yes, I have babysat, taught students and even had one of my siblings live with us for a little while. But it isn't the same, and I will be the first to admit that. But because of the wonderful world of technology I have seen so many examples of what it is like to be a mom, both good and difficult.

The good gets me really excited to be a mom one of these days. I want to have that experience and I appreciate those who put their family before themselves. I think it is a respectable course to take in life and I hope that time comes for me.

However, the difficult is something I have come to appreciate as well. I have a cousin who has colicky twins, which she complains about and then people tell her to appreciate the cute little babies in all their fussiness... which I am sure has some truth to it and she knows that. But, I am grateful for her and all the other parents who don't just tell about the rainbows and sunshine of raising children for two reasons:

1. It reminds me to enjoy life as it is now. There is so much freedom in not having children, and I am not going to feel guilty about that when there is nothing I can do about it.
We can go to movies, sleep in and go on vacation with relative ease. Sure, we have a puppy we have to make plans for but that is much easier than a baby (in most ways). Alone time happens almost daily and the only people who need to eat in this house are more than capable of feeding themselves.

2. Hopefully I will be a little more prepared for motherhood when it does come, all of motherhood. If I based the life of a parent on all of those cute little posts I think I would go crazy and feel a lot of guilt once the time comes.

So keep on keeping it real ladies. Because whether your style is to divulge it all, vent on social sites about what is really hard, or try to only share the positive, I appreciate the looks into your life and the things I have to look forward to... and those I should appreciate now because I am sure they will be missed.