Friday, February 15, 2013

And I have the best days with you...

I used to hate Valentine's day... I just thought it was this holiday made up by the candy and card companies... and that declaring romance once a year was lame. Even when I was dating someone... even when we first got married. Gabe was nice about it and even pointed out that it was our 6 month anniversary. I still said it was dumb.
But last year we had an experience that made me realize how cynical, and in all honesty, selfish I was being about something so trivial. A good friend and her husband had just split up and she came to visit us with her adorable little boy. Gabe and I found ourselves spending our Valentine's day searching through stores at the last minute looking for some pretty flowers, a vase and some chocolates for said friend. We weren't doing it because we felt the need to prove our love for her to everyone else. We wanted to do something nice for her, that's all.

So this year, I put a lot of thought into things. This is Gabe's senior year and most of his friends from freshman year as well. We have no idea where we are headed after graduation. So the wives got together and planned a surprise trip for the boys and because that was so huge Gabe thought that was all he was getting.
But instead I made this poster
and then took two hours to sit down and write him a letter... I haven't done that since our missions and this time it could be all mushy. It was fun and the more I wrote the more I realized how incredibly in love I am with my man. 

Of course how could I not be with notes like this
(Don't think I'm a dud Good things come from this stud)

Sharing sunsets like this

and coming home to this:
 Flowers (I love that Gabe knows how much I don't like roses) 
and a can. 
I know the can sounds kind of weird but he filled it and sealed it himself in his department.
The funny thing was I couldn't get the seal open... I broke our can opener. Here Gabe is with a pair
of pliers and what is left of our can opener.
Inside the can was my favorite candies and about fifty little love notes.
The notes had all sorts of things written on them,  from song lyrics to movie quotes, but this one was probably the funniest... Gabe hates Taylor Swift but when we were dating I would sometimes listen to her in the car and sing along(guilty pleasure) and he would always make fun of the songs.
So here is this:

Yesterday was great, and even better than flowers or candy was seeing how happy it made Gabe to give me all of those things. I love that man.