Paint It Golden. . .

At the beginning of this summer I made a list of things I wanted to do, and one of them was paint our dresser. I have been reading blog's like this for ages and while I am nowhere near as skilled yet I knew I wanted to try it out.

So on the very last day of summer I set out to accomplish it. I forgot to take a before picture but this is basically what it looked like

I started with a primer by Valspar which I like but one can barely covered the part of the dresser I was painting so I am not sure I will use it again. We went to Lowe's and found their clearance paint. I got a gallon of this Valspar blue color for $5 (if anyone wants a mint-ish color to paint anything... I have plenty left over.)


Then I used a Minwax mahogany wood stain that I applied with those little sponge brushes you see in the floor in the above picture. As soon as I painted about a few lines I would wipe it off with a really rough rag (you can get maybe 20 of them at Walmart for about $3, white is best, other colors tend to fade onto your paint and you get to start over again...) and it gave me this amazing effect

I painted the hardware with an old can of cream colored spray paint that I had leftover from another project. The finish I used was absolutely horrible. If I wasn't so sick last week I probably would have sanded it all down and done it again... but I didn't. So if you're refinishing something Valspar is great for paint and for primer but not so much for finishing. Overall while there were plenty of little things that I wish I could redo I really love the overall effect.

Here it is (because I didn't post it on fb enough... )




(Don't you love how inconsistent the lighting on my phone camera is)



Popular Posts