Monday, June 18, 2012

Before your star shined...

I simply love the author Madeleine L'Engle . I remember my Grandma Dottie first introducing her book series starting with A Wrinkle in Time. I was awkward, and mad at the world and the series was a perfect fit. It taught me so much more about myself than I probably comprehended as a 12 year old.

I have just begun to discover her writings for an older audience and I really enjoy them.

"If we commit ourselves to one person for life, this is not, as many people think, a rejection of freedom; rather, it demands the courage to move into all the risks of freedom, and the risk of love which is permanent; into that love which is not possession but participation."
— Madeleine L'Engle

I like that she identifies love as a participation not a possession. In order to love someone you must participate in their lives, thoughts, hopes and dreams. I also really like that she says love demands courage. Does it ever! Getting married is the scariest thing I have ever done (including moving across the country by myself, to a place I had never lived, into a new sort of life). However, it has also been one of the most rewarding parts of my life. There is a certain freedom in marriage (to the right person, at the right time), and anyone who does not see that is definitely missing out.