You are the only exception...

Five years ago today, right now I was watching Back to the Future, sitting next to Gabe, on the couch in my apartment hoping that I wasn't reading too far into things, that the subtle glances, inside jokes and late night calls and texts meant more than we were still just really good friends...

Now I sit next to him as he rushes to finish last minute homework and I am finally finished with work for the week.

Looking back on my freshman self, that girl had so much to learn about love... and growing up... and pretty much everything.

At the ripe old age of 24 (I found a grey hair today) I realize that I still have a lot to learn about... pretty much everything. But I also realize that there is a sort of wisdom in youth. A wisdom that comes from less cynicism and more idealism maybe.

When I was 19 I knew I wanted to marry Gabe. We talked about it often, making plans half joking and half hoping. We were careless with our time and my gasoline, driving around town until far too late talking and listening to what we deemed the best music at the time.

How was it that my 19 year old self knew who I was going to spend the rest of eternity with when I didn't even know which classes to take next semester?

I have a few theories... but no matter what the reason, I need to remember that youthful wisdom, because it sounds like she was one smart girl.


                                2007

                                 2012

I promise Gabe was more thrilled than he looks above
... proof:








Popular Posts