Sunday, February 26, 2012

Over rivers, farms and state lines...


One of my favorite memories from freshman year came on one of the worst days of my life.

I had just returned from testifying in court, which I hated. My cousin Sarah pulled into my driveway and there was Gabe, sitting on the hood of my car. He had a bag of Starburst and a much needed hug ready and waiting for me. I went inside and changed clothes and then we went for a walk around the neighborhood.

Gabe was mocking me for being barefoot. The sidewalk was cracked with blades of grass poking through every which way. It started to sprinkle a few raindrops, but I told Gabe I wanted to keep walking and he gave in.

And then, like it does in Utah it started to downpour. We were at least three blocks from my apartment and by the time we got back to the stairs of my apartment we were soaked, out of breath and laughing uncontrollably.

All of a sudden the mood changed and before I knew it, Gabe picked me up, spun me around and kissed me.  I couldn't stop laughing, here was this guy, kissing me, in the rain like I had always imagined someone would.

After we kissed, we went up stairs to my apartment where Gabe changed into a pair of my over-sized pajamas (I had this habit of wearing my brother's giant t-shirts and basketball shorts, and a few had made their way into my college wardrobe). I threw his clothes in the dryer and hopped up on the kitchen counter. He stood facing me, once again making fun of me for my barefoot ways. We talked and talked... much longer than the time necessary for his clothes to dry.





I fell in love with Gabe that afternoon, somewhere between the rain and the kitchen I let my guard down just long enough for him to take my heart.