Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Motherhood, chemistry and texting

I have decided that being a mother is going to be the coolest job in the world. Which sort of makes going to school difficult. It's not like a person can go to school to learn how to be a mother...

Don't get me wrong I adore learning about diseases and grant writing and the mental development of children. But what seems like more fun to me right now is diapers, and late nights, and little hands and toes.

However, that is not what I am supposed to be doing right now. Right now, I am supposed to be learning about stoichiometry and the Hantavirus and how important logic models are.

I know the importance of an education, not only for myself but for my family. I know all too well how fragile life and marriages really are. I know that no matter what, Gabe will always be there to support me but one day I might have the need to support our family financially. I know that the more educated I am, the more likely my children will be at becoming educated themselves. And so I will study and I will do homework, and visit TAs and read until my head hurts.

Right now is when I have to work, so I can play later. I know that mothers are shaking their heads at me, thinking "If only you knew how much work it is"

I don't care. I still want to do it. Because like I said, being a mother is the coolest job in the world.