Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Declaration of Independence

You're probably wondering why I am blogging about the Declaration of Independence at the beginning of February. I will blame it on my American Lit. class and the fact that I really need a break from studying for my stats exam.

One of my favorite lines from this document is "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..." We all know how ironic this statement was when slaves and women were not included at the time this document was written.

However, I believe that the declaration of independence is an ideal... It is a goal, something that we must constantly be working towards and for. You can't break away from one nation and start an entirely new one and expect it to be perfect from the beginning. This is like expecting a child who enters kindergarten to get a perfect score on the GRE, MCAT or any other college level test.

Our nation wasn't even 5-years old in 1776...

So, no... Our nation is not perfect. No, I would not call the men who wrote and signed The Declaration perfect (although I do know that they were inspired in this aspect) and there is no way I am going to call our current president perfect.

But, as long as we're working towards that ideal, as long as there are still people fighting to ensure these unalienable rights are being given to all people I am going to be proud to be an American, to say that my brothers are in the military and to serve my country by getting an education and bettering the future of the next generation.

I have my beliefs and even if I'm not willing to argue them most of the time I am willing to stand up for what I believe, that right was given to me by a constantly evolving nation working towards an ideal that was crafted over two hundred years ago by a less than perfect man.

Funny how things work out sometimes, isn't it?