Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Birthday...

I am not a big birthday person... I don't go around telling people when my birthday is, last year I even took it off of facebook so people wouldn't be notified and tell me happy birthday. But, somewhere in between not wanting people to make a big deal out of it and strategically making sure my newer family members weren't aware of the day I realized that people want to help me celebrate and I should probably let them.

The husband is amazing! He took me shopping for new bedding a few weeks ago and I thought that and some new jeans I desperately needed would be the rest of my birthday presents. But, he also ordered me a few favorite books (The Alchemist and The Little Prince) and we went out to dinner with some friends at a place called Naked Fish in SLC. Because of my strict diet there are few places I can enjoy eating out but a sushi place was perfect! I really enjoyed the atmosphere and live jazz music. We had great company, our friends the Tates.

My little sister took me shoe shopping. If you know me you know I don't like shopping very much... But, shopping with my sister is one of the few exceptions. I love my new boots Em, thanks!

My dear friend Melanie brought me flowers, Angela sent me a card from her mission...

all of the calls, texts, cards and letters from friends and family meant so much.

I think the thing I look forward to the most every year is the call I get from my mom's side of the family. Each year my mom and anyone she can get to help will call and sing me happy birthday. This year, I got to hear from my younger siblings and nieces. My mom even made everyone sing to me once on the answering machine and once while I was on the phone. Now I just have to figure out how to upload that message as an mp3 so I can save it on itunes.

Usually 23 isn't a special birthday.... but it was the best one I have had in a long time.