Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Home for the Holidays...

This year Gabe and I will be staying in Utah for Christmas. By the time we realized our car isn't reliable enough to make the 2,281 mile trip plane tickets were kind of ridiculous and Gabe was pretty weary about taking off that much work time right before the new semester. So, here we stay. To say I am disappointed is an understatement but so is saying I am grateful. Let me explain.

I love my family. I love being able to just go home and not have to worry about working and cooking dinner and cleaning my apartment (even thought I help with the latter two at my mom's house, somehow it is different). I love seeing all of my cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, siblings, parents and those I am pretty sure I am related to but not sure how. I love how I hate my mom making us all dress up and go caroling to random people in her ward and the five to ten pounds I know I am going to have to loose once I get back to Utah. I love Gabe's family, I was excited to see exactly how Christmas is for them, listen to the ridiculous stories they tell on Gabe and watch the Polar Express I don't know how many times.

But, because we can't (and because I already told my husband I was just going to drive home when I get paid Friday and he laughed and said call me when you break down)I am choosing to be grateful for the following reasons: 1. We will both be working forty hours a week for two weeks. That means tuition and books will be covered without any short terms loans (I hope) 2. I get to spend time with Gabe. I love school and am grateful for a job and all the running around we do when our friends are in town. But because it is the holidays, we have no homework and almost everyone is going to be out of town we will for the most part we will have a lot of time to just spend with each other. 3. No packing! For some people packing is no big deal, for me it is usually an event, and I always end up leaving something behind. 4. I don't have to stress out about the car... or driving... or directions... or music selection... or bathroom breaks... or dealing with finding road trip foods I can actually eat.

Basically, I will miss everyone, a lot but maybe having a low hassle holiday will be something I will enjoy as well. A chance to establish our own traditions and hopefully not have to eat Christmas dinner out because I ruined it (yeah I know, pray for a miracle on that one) will be quite the memory all of its own.

But, I'm buying plane tickets for next year by February at the latest :)