This is as close as I am going to get to writing a Christmas letter this year, and its four days after Christmas.
I am a list person and so here are the top ten most noteworthy events that have happened to us this year:
10. We have become quite the canasta players. Yes, we know this is a game most commonly played in retirement centers but somehow we have come to thoroughly enjoy it and not be too competitive with one another. Anyone who wants to challenge us though, bring it on :)
9. We survived the blizzard of 2010. Anyone who was in the Provo area knew there was supposed to be a major storm the day before and day of Thanksgiving. It was going to be the biggest storm to hit this area in over ten years. Stores were out of milk, eggs and bread, both University campuses shut down and we braced ourselves for the worst. Just as Gabe predicted, it slightly drizzled. What nobody told us was that the next day when we went into work there would be a huge break in a main water line and over 20,000 gallons of water would pour into Heritage Halls and reek havoc. We waded through up to two feet of water in several buildings, trying to mitigate the damage done to student's property and literally swept out tons of water from the central building. It was freezing cold outside causing Heather to be sick on Thanksgiving day. What an adventure the blizzard but really flood of 2010 was.
8. Another semester is finished at BYU. Heather will be graduating in early 2013 and Gabe will soon follow after. Both plan on attending grad school but where has yet to be determined.
7. Heather's little brothers have fallen in love with Gabe. Adam, John and Benji are pretty enamored by Gabe. Anytime Heather talks to Benji on the phone he wants to know what Gabe is doing and if he can talk. Gabe is the youngest of his family so he is having fun with three little brothers, we are hoping they can come out for a visit soon (hint hint Momma Stroud).
6. Heather is learning how to cook. This has been pretty interesting, especially with the recently acquired news of diabetes. Adjusting recipes to be more low-carb and sugar has been a fun challenge. Sometimes it's just safer to eat out or count on Gabe's mad sushi and hamburger helper skills.
5. Bessie the Beast (our '02 Saturn) has survived another year. Even though she is only running on three cylinders she made quite the trek from Utah to Kansas then to Oklahoma and back to Utah. After numerous repairs this year we are grateful to still have a car that runs.
4. Heather got a new job. She was working as a custodian at Heritage Halls almost the entire time she has been at BYU, and after moving up in the ranks she decided it was time for a change of place. She is now a secretary in one of the buildings on campus and was pleased to find out she gets to do homework on the clock.
3. We decided to not have kids anytime soon, so stop asking. Maybe this sounds harsh but we are enjoying our little family just the way it is. We have plenty of nieces and nephews to keep us busy in the meantime.
2. Gabe chose a major. He will be going into advertising and/or marketing. Since Gabe sometimes enjoys the commercials more than the television shows this field should be perfect for him.
1. We got married!! Of course this is the most memorable event for our 2010. It was also the best and most stressful thing that happened this year. We loved both of our receptions and so please do not take offense of the next statement if you were a part of either of them: We will be encouraging our children to elope.